    Subject[patch v2 0/5] percpu_counter: bug fix and enhancement
    The patch sets do two things.
    1. fix bug for 32-bit system. percpu_counter uses s64 counter. Without any
    locking reading s64 in 32-bit system isn't safe and can cause bad side effect.
    2. improve scalability for __percpu_counter_add. In some cases, _add could
    cause heavy lock contention (see patch 4 for detailed infomation and data).
    The patches will remove the contention and speed up it a bit. Last post
    (http://marc.info/?l=linux-kernel&m=130259547913607&w=2) simpliy uses
    atomic64 for percpu_counter, but Tejun pointed out this could cause
    deviation in __percpu_counter_sum.
    The new implementation uses lglock to protect percpu data. Each cpu has its
    private lock while other cpu doesn't take. In this way _add doesn't need take
    global lock anymore and remove the deviation. This still gives me about
    about 5x ~ 6x faster (not that faster than the original 7x faster, but still
    good) with the workload mentioned in patch 4.

    patch 1 fix s64 read bug for 32-bit system for UP
    patch 2 convert lglock to be used by dynamaically allocated structre. Later
    patch will use lglock for percpu_counter
    patch 3,4 fix s64 read bug for 32-bit system for MP. And it also improve the
    scalability for __percpu_counter_add.
    patch 5 is from Christoph Lameter to make __percpu_counter_add fastpath
    preemptless. I added it here because I converted percpu_counter to use
    lglock. All bugs are from mine.

    Comments and suggestions are welcomed!

    Thanks,
    Shaohua

      Last update: 2011-05-11 17:43    [W:0.022 / U:123.412 seconds]