    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Native Linux KVM tool

    * Andrea Arcangeli <aarcange@redhat.com> wrote:

    > [...] I thought the whole point of a native kvm tool was to go all the
    > paravirt way to provide max performance and maybe also depend on vhost as
    > much as possible.

    To me it's more than that: today i can use it to minimally boot test various
    native bzImages just by typing:

    kvm run ./bzImage

    this will get me past most of the kernel init, up to the point where it would
    try to mount user-space. ( That's rather powerful to me personally, as i
    introduce most of my bugs to these stages of kernel bootup - and as a kernel
    developer i'm not alone there ;-)

    I would be sad if i were forced to compile in some sort of paravirt support,
    just to be able to boot-test random native kernel images.

    Really, if you check the code, serial console and timer support is not a big
    deal complexity-wise and it is rather useful:

    git pull git://github.com/penberg/linux-kvm master

    So i think up to a point hardware emulation is both fun to implement (it's fun
    to be on the receiving end of hw calls, for a change) and a no-brainer to have
    from a usability POV. How far it wants to go we'll see! :-)

    Thanks,

    Ingo

      Last update: 2011-04-09 09:43    [W:0.025 / U:298.796 seconds]