    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Native Linux KVM tool
    On 2011-04-08 10:27, Pekka Enberg wrote:
    > Hi Jan,
    >
    > On Fri, 2011-04-08 at 09:39 +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
    >> I agree that it's easy to change 2kSomething LOC for this. But if you
    >> now wait too long designing in essential features like SMP, a scalable
    >> execution model, and - very important - portability (*), it can get
    >> fairly painful to fix such architectural deficits later on. How long did
    >> it take for Linux to overcome the BKL? QEMU is in the same unfortunate
    >> position.
    >
    > Yup, and we're taking your feedback seriously (and are thankful for
    > it!). We're hoping to look at SMP in the near future - help is
    > appreciated!

    Honestly, I do not yet see a major advantage for us to invest here
    instead of / in addition to continuing to improve QEMU. We've spend
    quite some effort on the latter with IMO noteworthy results. Porting
    over qemu-kvm to upstream was and still is among those efforts. We (*)
    are "almost done". :)

    Just one example: Despite QEMU's current deficits, I just have add a
    handful of (ad-hoc) patches to turn it into a (soft) real-time
    hypervisor, and that also for certain non-Linux guests. Your approach is
    yet man years of development and stabilization effort away from getting
    close to such a level.

    Don't want to discourage you or other contributors. I wish you that this
    approach can gather the critical mass and momentum to make it a real
    alternative, at least for a subset of use cases. We will surely keep an
    eye on it and re-assess its pros&cons as it progresses.

    Jan

    (*) the QEMU & KVM community

      Last update: 2011-04-08 11:15    [W:0.020 / U:30.532 seconds]