    SubjectRe: [ANNOUNCE] Native Linux KVM tool
    On 2011-04-08 07:14, Pekka Enberg wrote:
    > Hi Anthony,
    >
    > On Fri, Apr 8, 2011 at 5:14 AM, Anthony Liguori <anthony@codemonkey.ws> wrote:
    >> If someone was going to seriously go about doing something like this, a
    >> better approach would be to start with QEMU and remove anything non-x86 and
    >> all of the UI/command line/management bits and start there.
    >>
    >> There's nothing more I'd like to see than a viable alternative to QEMU but
    >> ignoring any of the architectural mistakes in QEMU and repeating them in a
    >> new project isn't going to get there.
    >
    > Hey, feel free to help out! ;-)
    >
    > I don't agree that a working 2500 LOC program is 'repeating the same
    > architectural mistakes' as QEMU. I hope you realize that we've gotten
    > here with just three part-time hackers working from their proverbial
    > basements. So what you call mistakes, we call features for the sake of
    > simplicity.
    >
    > I also don't agree with this sentiment that unless we have SMP,
    > migration, yadda yadda yadda, now, it's impossible to change that in
    > the future. It ignores the fact that this is exactly how the Linux
    > kernel evolved and the fact that we're aggressively trying to keep the
    > code size as small and tidy as possible so that changing things is as
    > easy as possible.

    I agree that it's easy to change 2kSomething LOC for this. But if you
    now wait too long designing in essential features like SMP, a scalable
    execution model, and - very important - portability (*), it can get
    fairly painful to fix such architectural deficits later on. How long did
    it take for Linux to overcome the BKL? QEMU is in the same unfortunate
    position.

    Jan

    (*) I would consider Anthony's idea to drop anything !=x86 a mistake
    given where KVM is moving to, today on PPC, tomorrow likely on ARM -
    just to name two examples.

      Last update: 2011-04-08 09:43    [W:0.021 / U:1.604 seconds]