Subjectsata_mv port lockup on hotplug (kernel 2.6.38.2)
Hello,

We have a bespoke platform utilising a Marvell MV88SX6041 SATA controller on which we have been running Linux 2.6.26 and using the sata_mv driver.

We have noticed problems with SATA ports occasionally locking up (on hotplug events) and remaining unresponsive. The normal kernel logging that occurs on hotplug events is no longer emitted for the locked ports (but will be emitted for the other sata ports that have not exhibited the problem.) The disks attached to the locked ports are completely unresponsive. The condition can be cleared by removing the sata_mv kernel module from memory and reloading it, after which the kernel logging becomes active (and the disks are usable) for all ports.

The following changeset was seen as a strong candidate for addressing this problem:

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=commitdiff;h=933cb8e5fcdebd4b666165e3f039f814d62b0e52

We are now in the process of upgrading to the stable 2.6.38.2 kernel release, but initial testing of this on our platform exhibits the same hotplug behaviour. Hotplug is possible, but occasionally the ports will lock up and not be responsive until sata_mv is removed and reinstalled. Other than this, the new kernel and driver seem to be operating normally.

Has this problem been observed elsewhere with kernels that include the above patch? Please CC me in replies.

Kind Regards,

Bruce Stenning,
IndigoVision,

Latest News at: http://www.indigovision.com/news2011.php

  Last update: 2011-04-06 16:23    [W:0.135 / U:0.032 seconds]