    Subjectrtc-twl: catch22 in 2.6.37 and 2.6.38 when clock was never set

    it just happened here that the rechargeable backup battery for the RTC
    on a TPS65950 run out off power, because of some days while the device
    wasn't powered.

    Afterwards I couldn't read or set the clock with hwclock using a kernel
    2.6.37.n or 2.6.38.n.

    I don't have a fix, but I think I've analyzed the problem and can offer
    a (bad) workaround.

    What happens is the following:

    When trying to read or set the clock with hwclock, the driver (rtc-twl)
    starts an alarm, but the irq for the alarm will never get called. The
    result is that a select in hwclock times out (for both operations, read
    or set).

    Because I had this clock running before, I've got the idea to try one of
    those old OMAP-kernels (2.6.32-angstrom) using the same userland.
    And with that kernel I could set the clock.
    Using 2.6.37 or 2.6.38 afterwards, hwclock did function again, both read
    an set are working.

    So it looks like there is a catch22 in kernels >=2.6.37 (I haven't
    tested .33-.36):

    When the clock was never set, the alarm(-irq) doesn't work, so hwclock
    doesn't work, so one can't set the clock.

    Alexander Holler

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-04-04 16:31    [W:0.044 / U:101.168 seconds]