SubjectRe: re-enable Nehalem raw Offcore-Events support
On 04/29/2011 10:42 AM, Thomas Gleixner wrote:

>>> That's a gross misrepresentation of what Ingo has been saying on LKML.
>>> Really, learn to work with relevant maintainers before you ask Linus
>>> to revert something.
>>
>> Ingo may not have explicitely said (2), but at least his revert (disabling
>> the raw interface users are asking for) is practically implementing (2).
>>
>> Actions speak louder than words.
>>
>> That is either you have a raw interface or you only have the cooked
>> interface or you have both. Since he reverted raw only cooked
>> is left, which is (2)
>>
>> I agree with Vince it's a bad policy.
>
> No, it's not the raw interface will be made available when the proper
> set of abstracted functionality has been added and settled down,
> simply because it might to change the way the raw event is exposed. As
> long there are open questions which might have an influence on the
> exposure of the raw event, it's completely correct to keep it
> disabled.

Carl Love and I recently completed some work to add perf_events support
for the IBM Blue Waters machine's "CPU networking" chip, called the
Torrent chip. We did all of this work based on a RHEL 6 kernel
(2.6.32ish), which doesn't have Peter's more recent multi-PMU support.

I would say that most if not all of the events are not generalizable in
the sense that you are talking about; the events are very specific to
the Torrent chip. For example, the Torrent chip communicates with four
POWER7 chips via a high-speed serial interconnect, called the W, X, Y,
and Z links, and it also has similar links which connect to other
Torrent chips, and to other nodes. The events measure certain types of
activity on these various links, for example "X link receive idle".

So if I'm understanding what you have said correctly, we would not be
able to get a forward port of this code committed without abstracting
these events in a away that's acceptable to the kernel community. Is
that right? If so, this is important for us to know so that we can
correctly size the work effort involved in the forward port.

Thanks for your consideration,

- Corey

  Last update: 2011-04-30 22:09    [W:0.065 / U:0.620 seconds]