SubjectRe: [Linaro-mm-sig] [RFC] ARM DMA mapping TODO, v1
On 04/29/2011 01:26 PM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

>>> How can you do that when it changes mid-bus heirarchy? I'm thinking
>>> of the situation where the DRM stuff is on a child bus below the
>>> root bus, and the root bus has DMA coherent devices on it but the DRM
>>> stuff doesn't.
>>>
>> But that's not PCI right ? IE. with PCI, coherency is a property of the
>> PHB...
>>
> That is my understanding at least, but I'd like to have a confirmation
> from the DRM folks.
>
> I believe that the PC graphics cards that have noncoherent DMA mappings
> are all of the unified memory (integrated into the northbridge) kind,
> so they are not on the same host bridge as all regular PCI devices,
> even if they appear as a PCI device.

I think Jerome has mentioned at one point that the Radeon graphics cards
support
non-coherent mappings.

Fwiw, the PowerVR SGX MMU also supports this mode of operation, although
it being functional I guess depends on the system implementation.

/Thomas