    SubjectRe: re-enable Nehalem raw Offcore-Events support
    From
    On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 8:25 PM, Andi Kleen <ak@linux.intel.com> wrote:
    >> >  2.  Users are too stupid to use the raw functionality properly;
    >> >      we should only allow a kernel-developer-approved small subset
    >> >      of the features provided by the CPU as described in the intel
    >> >      developers manuals.
    >> >
    >> > #2 seems like a gross misinterpretation of the whole "Linux gives you
    >> > enough rope to shoot yourself in the foot" policy from days passed, but
    >> > maybe things have moved on.
    >>
    >> That's a gross misrepresentation of what Ingo has been saying on LKML.
    >> Really, learn to work with relevant maintainers before you ask Linus
    >> to revert something.
    >
    > Ingo may not have explicitely said (2), but at least his revert (disabling
    > the raw interface users are asking for) is practically implementing (2).
    >
    > Actions speak louder than words.
    >
    > That is either you have a raw interface or you only have the cooked
    > interface or you have both. Since he reverted raw only cooked
    > is left, which is (2)
    >
    > I agree with Vince it's a bad policy.

    So a maintainer reverts an ABI that he thinks needs more thought/work
    before it's too late and we're stuck with it forever. Can you please
    explain what's the problem here?

    Asking Linus to revert the commit is short-sighted and doesn't solve
    the problem. Learn to work with the maintainer and save yourself a lot
    of trouble.