SubjectRe: Wonkiness with keyboard adapter - not sure if it's in USB or input systems
On Tue, 26 Apr 2011 23:29:42 +0200, Jiri Kosina said:

> > > Have you tried testing the adapter by plugging it in after the system
> > > is running?
> >
> > It works fine at the Grub screen.
> >
> > It *doesn't* work for the kernel when it initially starts up, even though a few
> > seconds ago the hardware worked just fine.
> >
> > It *does* work after I've unplugged/replugged it - I've tested both the USB
> > side and the PS2 side, in either case it starts working.

> It seems like the BIOS handover of the USB input device doesn't work
> properly.
>
> The way things usually work in such situations -- BIOS is able to
> understand USB input devices in a very basic mode (hidp) and translate the
> events into PS/2-looking events, so that things like grub (which don't
> understand USB HID) are able to see keyboard events -- BIOS presents those
> as PS/2 devices.
>
> Once kernel is booted, it takes over devices in this 'legacy' mode from
> BIOS, and initializes them properly as USB input devices.
>
> Seems like this process is broken on your system. Could you please try to
> disable legacy USB emulation in your BIOS, and see if the problem
> persists? (it will make USB keyboard unavailable in grub).

Possible datapoint - the USB handoff can't be *totally* broken on the laptop,
because it handled another Microsoft Natural keyboard with a USB on it just
fine, so it's something specific to the GreenAsia adapter.

I disabled legacy USB emulation, and as expected, the keyboard wasn't available
to grub. It was *also* unavailable to the initrd until I did the 'disc/reconnect' thing,
at which point it started working. (Sorry, don't have the dmesg from that
one, can get it tomorrow (Wed) morning if you want. And any advice on
additional debugging I can turn on to help would be accepted too).

  Last update: 2011-04-27 02:21    [W:0.056 / U:0.440 seconds]