    SubjectRe: Regarding memory fragmentation using malloc....
    Thanks Mr. Michal for all your comments :)

    As I can understand from your comments that, malloc from user space will not have much impact on memory fragmentation.
    Will the memory fragmentation be visible if I do kmalloc from the kernel module????

    > No. When you call malloc() only virtual address space
    > is allocated. The
    > actual allocation of physical space occurs when user space
    > accesses the
    > memory (either reads or writes) and it happens page at a
    > time.

    Here, if I do memset then I am accessing the memory...right? That I am doing already in my sample program.

    > what really happens is that kernel allocates the 0-order
    > pages and when
    > it runs out of those, splits a 1-order page into two
    > 0-order pages and
    > takes one of those.

    Actually, if I understand buddy allocator, it allocates pages from top to bottom. That means it checks for the highest order block that can be allocated, if possible it allocates pages from that block otherwise split the next highest block into two.
    What will happen if the next higher blocks are all empty???

    Is the memory fragmentation is always a cause of the kernel space program and not user space at all??

    Can you provide me with some references for migitating memory fragmentation in linux?

    Thanks,
    Pintu