    SubjectRE: Re-send (What else needs to be done to the sep driver (staging/sep))

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Joe Perches []
    Sent: Wednesday, April 13, 2011 4:13 PM
    To: Greg KH
    Cc: Allyn, Mark A;;; Mangalampalli, Jayant; Gokulrangan, Venkat R
    Subject: Re: Re-send (What else needs to be done to the sep driver (staging/sep))

    On Wed, 2011-04-13 at 15:46 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
    > I don't like seeing every individual driver have its own way of handling
    > debug macros, that's crazy.

    That's your preference not mine.

    > For larger stuff like networking, yes, they can do that, and that's
    > fine. They also were doing this before the dev_* macros came along,
    > just like USB did, so there is historical precident there.

    I added netdev_<level> and netif_<level>.

    > But again, not for a new driver, don't redefine the existing macros just
    > because you don't like typing a few extra characters...

    You are not the driver maintainer and those decisions
    are driver maintainer decisions not yours.

    Check this out:

    $ grep -rP -oh --include=*.[ch] \
    "\b[a-z]+_(dbg|alert|crit|emerg|notice|warn|err|info)\b\s*\(" drivers | \
    sed -e 's/(//g' -r -e 's/\s*//g' | \
    sort | uniq | wc -l

    Most all of those are different logging forms.

    So, not crazy, just not your preference.

    I've put in some effort trying to standardize logging
    messages and mechanisms as well, and I think

    <prefix>_<level>(struct *, fmt, ..._

    is a perfectly good and understandable style.

    I do not suggest using some arbitrary prefix just for the
    sake of it, only when there is a specific structure that
    can be used.

    cheers, Joe

    I am adding Alan Cox, Mark Gross, and Bruce Beare into the discussion.

    I will not do anything to change the logging in this driver until I get
    better clarification from Mark, Alan, and Bruce as well as Greg.

    Mark Allyn

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-04-14 16:49    [W:0.050 / U:129.052 seconds]