SubjectRe: Kernelspace firmware loaders (was: linux-next: manual merge of the staging tree with the v4l-dvb tree)
Date
Hi Igor,

On Monday 07 March 2011 18:40:28 Igor M. Liplianin wrote:
> В сообщении от 7 марта 2011 18:51:27 автор Laurent Pinchart написал:

> > > If the code is just a "pass-through" to the hardware, I have no
> > > objection to the driver being in the kernel, if it needs to be in order
> > > to control the hardware properly.
> >
> > The code implements a JTAG TAP state machine with a bit-banging
> > algorithm, including direct parallel port (LPT) access, and a bitcode
> > interpreter for
>
> LPT access procedure included for historical reason, on early development
> stages it was used for program FPGA, then we swithed to cx23885 GPIO's.
> Developer can choose(develop) his own procedure for JTAG pins access.

Shouldn't LPT support be removed then ?

> > the files generated by the Altera FPGA proprietary development tools.
>
> So, we used this tools. And the code is from widely opened sources.

Are we going to add support for all proprietary (and standard ?) FPGA file
formats, with FPGA programming algorithms from multiple vendors, and TAP
access support at various levels (not all JTAG interfaces can be controlled at
the bit-banging level, some use higher level commands) to the kernel ? That
would be a big amount of complex code, for very little benefit.

You could simplify this by going for a single file format across multiple
devices from multiple vendors, such as XSVF, but I'm not sure it's a good
solution either.

--
Regards,

Laurent Pinchart