SubjectRe: [CFS Bandwidth Control v4 0/7] Introduction
On Wed, 9 Mar 2011 02:12:36 -0800
Paul Turner <pjt@google.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 5:06 AM, jacob pan
> <jacob.jun.pan@linux.intel.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 25 Feb 2011 02:03:54 -0800
> > Paul Turner <pjt@google.com> wrote:

> >> So reading the description it seems like rooting everything in a
> >> 'freezer' container and then setting up a quota of
> >>
> >> (1 - frozen_percentage)  * nr_cpus * frozen_period * sec_to_usec
> >>
> > I guess you meant frozen_percentage is less than 1, i.e. 90 is .90.
> > my code treat 90 as 90. just a clarification.
> >> on a period of
> >>
> >> frozen_period * sec_to_usec
> >>
> >> Would provide the same functionality.  Is there other unduplicated
> >> functionality beyond this?
>
> Sorry -- I was out last week; comments inline.
>
> > Do you mean the same functionality as your patch? Not really, since
> > my approach will stop the tasks based on hard time slices
> >. But seems your
> > patch will allow them to run if they don't exceed the quota. Am i
> > missing something?
>
> Right, this is what was discussed above.
>
> > That is the only functionality difference i know.
> >
> > Like the reviewer of freezer patch pointed out, it is a more logical
> > fit to implement such feature in scheduler/yours in stead of
> > freezer. So i am wondering if your patch can be expended to include
> > limiting quota on real time.
>
> The following two configurations should effectively exactly mirror the
> freezer behavior without modification.
>
> A) background while(1) thread on each cpu within the cgroup
> This will result in synchronous consumption / exhaustion of quota in a
> manor that duplicates the periodic freezing.
>
> Given the goal is power-saving, this is obviously non-ideal. However:
>
> B) A userspace daemon toggles quota at the desired interval
>
> Supposing you wanted a freezer period of 100ms per second, then having
> a daemon wake up at 900ms into the interval and then setting a quota
> amount that is effectively zero will then "freeze" the group. Said
> daemon can then release things by returning the group to an infinite
> quota in 100ms, and then sleeping for another 900ms.
>
> Is there particular advantage of doing this in-kernel?

Yes, option B will mirror the behavior of the freezer patch. My concern
is that doing this in user space will be less efficient than doing it
in the kernel. For each period to run, the user daemon has to wake up
twice to adjust the quota. I guess if you do idle time quota check in
the kernel it may not need the extra wake-ups?
I do plan to have multiple cgroups with different period and runtime
quota, so the wake-ups will add up.

> > I did a comparison study between CFS BW and freezer patch on skype
> > with identical quota setting as you pointed out earlier. Both use 2
> > sec period and .2 sec quota (10%). Skype typically uses 5% of the
> > CPU on my system when placing a call(below cfs quota) and it wakes
> > up every 100ms to do some quick checks. Then I run skype in cpu
> > then freezer cgroup (with all its children). Here is my result
> > based on timechart and powertop.
> >
> > patch name      wakeups         skype call?
> > CFS BW          10/sec          yes
> > freezer         1/sec           no
> >

> Is this a true saving? While the actual task wake-up has been hidden,
> the cpu is still coming out of a halt/idle state and processing the
> interrupt/etc.

I think it is true power saving, consider wake-ups from CPU C
states are resulted from either timer or device IRQ, frozen process will
directly reduce timer IRQ.
> Have you had the chance to measure the actual comparative power-usage
> in this case?

I have yet to do such study, it is in my plan.

> > Skype might not be the best example to illustrate the real usage of
> > the feature, but we are targeting mobile device where they are
> > mostly off or often have only one application allowed in
> > foreground. So we want to reduce wakeups coming from the tasks that
> > are not in the foreground.
> >

> If reducing wake-ups (at the userspace level) is proven to deliver
> performance improvements, then it might be more productive to approach
> that directly by considering strategies such as batching wakeups and
> processing them periodically.
>
> This would not have the negative performance impact of the current
> approach, as well as being more deterministic.
>
> >> One thing that does seem undesirable about your approach is (as it
> >> seems to be described) threads will not be able to take advantage
> >> of naturally occurring idle cycles and will incur a potential
> >> performance penalty even at use << frozen_percentage.
> >>
> >> e.g. From your post
> >>
> >>        |  |<-- 90% frozen -     ->|  |
> >>
> >>         |<---- 5 seconds     ---->|
> >>

> >> Suppose no threads active until the wake up at x, suppose there is
> >> an accompanying 1 second of work for that thread to do.  That
> >> execution time will be dilated to ~1.5 seconds (as it will span
> >> the 0.5 seconds the freezer will stall for).  But the true usage
> >> for this period is ~20% <<< 90%
> > I agree my approach does not consider the natural cycle. But I am
> > not sure if a thread can wake up at x when FROZEN.
> >

> While the ascii is a little mailer-mangled, in the diagram above x was
> intended to precede the "frozen" time segment, but at a point where
> the work it wants to do exceeds the time-before-freeze resulting in
> dilation of execution and a performance regression.
Thanks for explaining again.

Jacob