SubjectRe: brcm80211: the system freezes if booted with laptop wifi switch to OFF
On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 18:29:47 +0100, Francis Moreau
<francis.moro@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Arend van Spriel <arend@broadcom.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I don't know what the origin is of your kernel so please provide some
>> details on that.
>
> What kind of information do you need ?
>
> As you probably noticed the kernel I'm running is 2.6.38-rc6.

Yup. However, that is not unique by itself. Did you get it from a git
repository like linux-next maintained by Stephen Rothwell or linux-2.6
maintained by Linus Torvalds, or did you download a kernel snapshot from
ftp.kernel.org.

> Revelant part of lscpi:
>
> 12:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Device 4727 (rev 01)
> Subsystem: Dell Device 0010
> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
> Memory at fbb00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> Capabilities: <access denied>
> Kernel driver in use: brcm80211
> Kernel modules: brcm80211

Always useful to know what hardware you are using. Thanks.

>> The patch itself can be found in the linuxdriver email
>> archive:
>>
>> http://driverdev.linuxdriverproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-January/011381.html
>>

> Do you want me to give it a try ?

I don't think it will apply cleanly, but sure go ahead.

>> Not sure whether it applies to whatever you have. I just tried your
>> scenario
>> with my driver and hardware and no freezes during boot.
>
> My scenario is:
>
> - set the switch to OFF
> - insmod the module
> - bring up/configure the interface

That's a bit different, but could you elaborate on the last step. Are you
using iw, wpa_supplicant, etc. or relying on NetworkManager.

Gr. AvS
--
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the
human

  Last update: 2011-03-07 19:27    [W:0.068 / U:0.304 seconds]
©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans