    SubjectRe: brcm80211: the system freezes if booted with laptop wifi switch to OFF
    On Mon, 07 Mar 2011 18:29:47 +0100, Francis Moreau
    <francis.moro@gmail.com> wrote:

    > On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 2:54 PM, Arend van Spriel <arend@broadcom.com>
    > wrote:
    >>
    >> I don't know what the origin is of your kernel so please provide some
    >> details on that.
    >
    > What kind of information do you need ?
    >
    > As you probably noticed the kernel I'm running is 2.6.38-rc6.

    Yup. However, that is not unique by itself. Did you get it from a git
    repository like linux-next maintained by Stephen Rothwell or linux-2.6
    maintained by Linus Torvalds, or did you download a kernel snapshot from
    ftp.kernel.org.

    > Revelant part of lscpi:
    >
    > 12:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation Device 4727 (rev 01)
    > Subsystem: Dell Device 0010
    > Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 17
    > Memory at fbb00000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    > Capabilities: <access denied>
    > Kernel driver in use: brcm80211
    > Kernel modules: brcm80211

    Always useful to know what hardware you are using. Thanks.

    >> The patch itself can be found in the linuxdriver email
    >> archive:
    >>
    >> http://driverdev.linuxdriverproject.org/pipermail/devel/2011-January/011381.html
    >>

    > Do you want me to give it a try ?

    I don't think it will apply cleanly, but sure go ahead.

    >> Not sure whether it applies to whatever you have. I just tried your
    >> scenario
    >> with my driver and hardware and no freezes during boot.
    >
    > My scenario is:
    >
    > - set the switch to OFF
    > - insmod the module
    > - bring up/configure the interface

    That's a bit different, but could you elaborate on the last step. Are you
    using iw, wpa_supplicant, etc. or relying on NetworkManager.

    Gr. AvS
    --
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the
    human

      Last update: 2011-03-07 19:27    [W:0.030 / U:65.224 seconds]