SubjectRe: [REVIEW] NVM Express driver
On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 05:07:35PM -0500, Matthew Wilcox wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 01:51:55PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> > Heh, no, well, submit_io should just go through the block layer and not
> > be a separate ioctl, right?
>
> Just like with SG_IO, there are reasons to do I/Os without going through
> the block layer.

Ok, that makes sense.

> > > There's a bit of an impedence mismatch there. Think of this as
> > > being drive firmware instead of controller firmware. This isn't for
> > > request_firmware() kind of uses, it's for some admin tool to come along
> > > and tell the drive "Oh, here's some new firmware for you".
> >
> > That's fine, request_firmware will work wonderfully for that.
>
> How would the driver know that it should call request_firmware()?
> Do it every 60 seconds in case somebody's downloaded some new firmware?

Ick, no, just use the function provided that lets you create a firmware
request and be notified when it is written to,
request_firmware_nowait(). That is what it is there for.

> > > If you look at the spec [1], you'll see there are a number of firmware
> > > slots in the device, and it's up to the managability utility to decide
> > > which one to replace or activate. I dno't think you want to pull all
> > > that gnarly decision making code into the kernel, do you?
> > >
> > > [1] http://download.intel.com/standards/nvmhci/NVM_Express_1_0_Gold.pdf
> >
> > No, just export multiple "slots" as firmware devices ready to be filled
> > in by userspace whenever it wants/needs to. The management utility can
> > just dump the firmware to those sysfs files when it determines it needs
> > to update the firmware, no decision making in the kernel at all.
>
> OK ... glad we decided to limit the number of slots. I still don't see
> (in Documentation/firmware_class/README) how this works for user-initiated
> firmware updates rather than kernel-initiated.

I didn't even realize we had a firmware README file...

Anyway, just use request_firmware_nowait(), you will be fine.

thanks,

greg k-h

  Last update: 2011-03-03 23:25    [W:0.112 / U:2.100 seconds]