    SubjectRe: [REVIEW] NVM Express driver
    On Thu, Mar 03, 2011 at 01:51:55PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
    > Heh, no, well, submit_io should just go through the block layer and not
    > be a separate ioctl, right?

    Just like with SG_IO, there are reasons to do I/Os without going through
    the block layer.

    > > There's a bit of an impedence mismatch there. Think of this as
    > > being drive firmware instead of controller firmware. This isn't for
    > > request_firmware() kind of uses, it's for some admin tool to come along
    > > and tell the drive "Oh, here's some new firmware for you".
    >
    > That's fine, request_firmware will work wonderfully for that.

    How would the driver know that it should call request_firmware()?
    Do it every 60 seconds in case somebody's downloaded some new firmware?

    > > If you look at the spec [1], you'll see there are a number of firmware
    > > slots in the device, and it's up to the managability utility to decide
    > > which one to replace or activate. I dno't think you want to pull all
    > > that gnarly decision making code into the kernel, do you?
    > >
    > > [1] http://download.intel.com/standards/nvmhci/NVM_Express_1_0_Gold.pdf
    >
    > No, just export multiple "slots" as firmware devices ready to be filled
    > in by userspace whenever it wants/needs to. The management utility can
    > just dump the firmware to those sysfs files when it determines it needs
    > to update the firmware, no decision making in the kernel at all.

    OK ... glad we decided to limit the number of slots. I still don't see
    (in Documentation/firmware_class/README) how this works for user-initiated
    firmware updates rather than kernel-initiated.

      Last update: 2011-03-03 23:09    [W:8.983 / U:0.576 seconds]