    SubjectRe: [RFC] st_nlink after rmdir() and rename()
    On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 1:37 PM, OGAWA Hirofumi
    <> wrote:
    > And I can't only see is why you refuse to make consistent behavior (if
    > you are saying it). It's why I said if it's _really easy_.

    The thing is, it really isn't really easy. As mentioned, it's actually
    impossible on NFS, and it's possibly impossible on other filesystems

    So what I'm objecting to is "try to make something consistent that
    CANNOT be consistent anyway", and calling it a bug.

    I'm not saying there aren't real bugs there too (the actual races in
    i_nlink handling are real bugs). But I _am_ saying that it's simply
    not true that i_nlink must be zero if you do an "fstat()" after doing
    an rmdir on an fd that you held open. Nobody can reasonably care, and
    anybody who _does_ care is better off getting a nasty surprise early
    rather than late.

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-03-03 22:55    [W:0.020 / U:15.460 seconds]