    SubjectRe: [RFC] st_nlink after rmdir() and rename()
    On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 12:46 PM, OGAWA Hirofumi
    <> wrote:
    > But, some commands see i_nlink (IIRC, it's checking i_nlink == 2, to
    > know empty dir or not).

    Actually, that would be a serious bug in the application.

    The traditional rule of thumb is that a directory with i_nlink==1 has
    a "I'm not counting at all".

    For example, I think that's the rule that 'find' uses to decide if a
    directory can have subdirectories (and when it could try to stop
    scanning early): i_nlink == 1 means that yes, it _can_ have
    subdirectories, we just don't know how many.

    So checking i_nlink==2 is actually a user-level bug.

    > So we have to simulate some levels. I guess you
    > are not saying we don't need to care it at all though.

    I'm saying that it should just work to set i_nlink=1 and not do
    anything at all. Ever. It's a valid model for directory counts.

    Seriously - that's what isofs does, for example. It does mean that
    'find' for certain cases gets bit more expensive, but on the other
    hand, other operations are a lot _less_ expensive.

    We might well try that as a FAT mount option, to let people decide
    whether they really do want the "scan directories all the time" or
    only the "let 'find' scan directories when it needs to" behavior.

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-03-03 22:05    [W:0.020 / U:0.612 seconds]