SubjectRe: regression - 2.6.36 -> 2.6.37 - kvm - 32bit SMP guests don't boot
On 03/03/2011 02:06 AM, Nikola Ciprich wrote:
>> No worries. What mess?
>>
> twice sending the same mail, nevermind :)
>

>> I have two things you can try:
>>
>> first is running a single VCPU guest, if you have not done so already.
>>
> yup, UP guest is fine, just SMP doesn't work.
>

>> Second is adding the bootparameter "clocksource=acpi_pm" to your guest
>> kernel.
>>
> yes, this makes SMP work too! I just realized when You were asking about current
> clocksource, I told You only host source, not the guest. So I checked now,
> and (at least for UP, I guess for SMP it's the same), the clocksource is
> kvm-clock! So seems like it got broken with the TSC changes?

What is the exact kernel version you are using in the guest.

It appears that some earlier 32-bit versions of kvm-clock enabled
kernels are still missing the required atomic check for backwards-time
protection which would be needed on SMP. This explains why 64-bit is
fine, 32-bit is not.

Why this change triggers that problem still is a slight mystery,
logically it should only affect the system if you have an unstable TSC.

Zach

  Last update: 2011-03-03 21:49    [W:0.172 / U:1.032 seconds]