    SubjectMerge window closed - 2.6.39-rc1 out
    So 2.6.39-rc1 is out there, and the merge window is closed. I still
    have to look over the cleancache pull request (which I got in plenty
    of time, but decided that I want to review after the merge window
    craziness is over), but other than that, we're done.

    What to say about the merge window? It _feels_ like it was all
    drivers, filesystems and irq cleanups. The dirstat backs up the
    drivers part (65%), but claims that we had way more arch updates than
    filesystem stuff (and the bulk of that is ARM, and while _some_ of
    that was the irq conversions, most of it is just the normal board
    churn). On the arch side, the first steps of unifying m68k and
    m68knommu is a nice sign, let's see how that all pans out in the long
    run. Oh, and there's the new unicore32 architecture.

    Elsewhere, we had a fair amount of VFS cleanup, and also introduced
    the "filehandle" interfaces (along with open(..,O_PATH)). Although
    most people won't care.

    Perhaps a bit more interesting to a larger part of the kernel
    community is the new block device plugging model - it makes plugging a
    per-thread thing and cleaned up the code considerably. It also avoids
    lots of locking in a very hot path, and should generally be a really
    good idea. That said, it also at one point ate XFS filesystems for
    breakfast, but that's fixed and it's hopefully all good now.

    Anything else? I'm sure I've forgotten something really exciting. But
    on the whole I think this should be one of those "solid, boring
    progress" releases.

    Knock wood. I like boring.

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-03-29 23:11    [W:0.025 / U:184.320 seconds]