Subjectsignal to PID 1 from serial console like KeyboardRequest or CAD
Hi,

Sent to linux-console with no reply for over a week...

I ran into a problem recently on a Linux server with a remote serial
console. /sbin/init (actually Upstart) was in a state where nothing
(useful) was running. I had to power cycle the machine to get back to
the boot prompt. This has the side-effect of triggering raid rebuilds.

It would be nice to have what Ctrl-Alt-Del does at the VGA console with
PS/2 or USB keyboard. This sends a SIGINT to PID 1, and most distros
have this set to do "shutdown -r now" which attempts a clean reboot.

Once upon a time there was KeyboardRequest, which would send a SIGWINCH
to PID 1 (when pressing Alt-UP_arrow?). I don't see any sign of this
feature in Linux 2.6.32 though.

Looking at the Sysrq handlers in the kernel I don't see any keystrokes
that send SIGINT to PID 1 either.

So, I'm wondering if it makes sense to add a Sysrq key to send a signal
to PID1 ?

--
Coplanar Networks
http://www.coplanar.net

  Last update: 2011-03-25 19:21    [W:0.074 / U:0.748 seconds]