    SubjectRe: [git pull] drm fixes
    From
    On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 10:17 AM, Linus Torvalds
    <torvalds@linux-foundation.org> wrote:
    > On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 5:07 PM, Dave Airlie <airlied@gmail.com> wrote:
    >>
    >> Like seriously you really think VFS locking rework wasn't under
    >> development or discussion when you merged it? I'm sure Al would have
    >> something to say about it considering the number of times he cursed in
    >> irc about that code after you merged it.
    >
    > Umm. That code was basically over a year old by the time it was merged.
    >
    > How old was the code we're talking about now? Seriously?

    It was 30 lines of clean code, that really was fine to be merged in
    its first form it was merely a future maintaince issue to clean up the
    interface before it was released as stable.

    > And your argument that this case is something you'd have pushed even
    > outside the merge window - I think that sounds like more of the same
    > problem. You say it fixes a problem - but does it fix a REGRESSION?
    >
    > Do you see the difference? Every single commit I get "fixes a
    > problem". But our rules for these things are much stricter than that.

    Okay I'll explain something from my position and maybe you'll never
    want to pull from me again, but the kernel release cycle doesn't work
    at all well for graphics drivers.

    Why?

    well the major fail case we have is my monitor doesn't switch on. Now
    if I merge new hardware support for a new GPU in 2.6.38, and sometime
    in 2.6.39-rc1 we come across a variant that is broken (this happens
    every kernel, we find at least 5 GPU variants or BIOS table reports on
    radeon, look at pretty much any post -rc1 patch from Alex Deucher).
    Now by your rules this isn't a regression, but now for a user to
    actually get this change in their hands I have to wait until
    2.6.40-rc1, and only once its in your tree, maybe it can go to stable.
    This is 6 months later. That is to pardon my french, fucking
    shithouse. I have to make judgement calls on a lot of patches on
    whether they are suitable or not to go upstream and I try to think
    that the sooner the poor bastard stuck with this hardware can get this
    fix then the better it is for everyone, regression or not.

    In this case, if you had a >2 monitor setup connected to an evergreen
    card, and you tried to do 3D on the 3rd monitor it would just hang the
    app in a loop forever, the fix needs 3 pieces, one in the kernel, and
    two userspace fixes. I can have the userspace fixes on users disks in
    under a week, literally. We release a new libdrm/-ati driver and
    distros will have it available in hours via rawhide or xorg-edgers in
    Ubuntu. Now under kernel rules you want me to hold it up for 6 months?
    just because it was a few days later for the merge window. Why 6
    months? because a distro won't ship it until 2.6.40 is released.

    Another example is most of Marek's patches where he enables some
    userspace feature by allowing the kernel to accept new commands to
    send to the GPU. Again this is to avoid a 6 month window where nobody
    can use this feature of the 3D driver that is on their disk until they
    get a kernel upgrade. Despite what you have said before and obviously
    think its much easier to get users to update userspace than kernels in
    the real world.

    This is why I often put things that aren't strict regression fixes in
    after -rc1 and accept the same from intel and nouveau. I draw the line
    at things like performance enhancements and I should be more strict on
    some of the crap that gets past in Intel, but I make a lot more
    judgement calls on these things and I often make them wrong, but I'd
    rather be making them than just being an ass to people who are stuck
    in vesa mode and can't suspend/resume because their GPU just shows a
    black screen on startup on new hw or they can't get acceleration
    support for 4 months.

    I'm also aware we never get enough testing coverage before stuff hits
    your tree, we'd need 1000s of testers to run drm-next and we just
    don't have that variation. So yes when new features hit -rc1 with the
    drm they nearly always cause regressions, its just not possible to
    test this stuff on every GPU/monitor/bios combination in existance
    before we give it to you, that just isn't happening. Like radeon
    pageflipping caused machines to completely hang and I didn't find out
    until -rc7 due to lack of testing coverage.

    I'm seriously contemplating going back to out-of-tree drivers so we
    can actually get test coverage before you get things, however that
    comes with its own set of completely insane problems.

    Its not like I'm not aware of the problems here, I'm very aware, I'm
    just clueless on how to provide actual valuable drm code to users in
    anything close to a timely manner, people buy new graphics card
    quicker than I can get code into the kernel.

    Dave.

      Last update: 2011-03-25 08:23    [W:0.037 / U:30.128 seconds]