SubjectRe: [BUG] pgprot_noncached() is -NOT- safe for mapping vmalloc buffers into userspace
On Fri, 2011-03-25 at 11:12 +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:

> > > Yes.
> >
> > I haven't actually checked, but I assume that the test
> >
> > substream->dma_buffer.dev.type == SNDRV_DMA_TYPE_DEV
> >
> > In snd_pcm_default_mmap() takes care of that, please correct me if
> > I'm wrong in which case we'll need something else there.
>
> Well, in the case of usb-audio, it's not handled via
> dma_mmap_coherent(), as the page isn't allocated via
> dma_alloc_coherent() but vmalloc().

Right, I just wanted to make sure I was right to assume that a page
allocated by vmalloc() was going to fail the above test in
snd_pcm_default_mmap() and thus -not- get into dma_mmap_coherent()...
just double checking as I'm not totally familiar with the intricacies of
the pcm code :-)

> The bad commit was to overcome some problems on SH platform, IIRC,
> when it's used with dmix -- i.e. concurrent accesses on the mmapped
> buffer from multiple processes. But, this looks obviously like a
> wrong approach.

Is this a vivt architecture ? Maybe enforcing some restrictions on the
virtual addresses so they hit the same cache congruence classes ?

> Actually, the buffer allocated there in usb-audio is an intermediate
> buffer, that isn't directly transferred to hardware. We may need a
> bit more consideration what is the best way to solve that issue (if
> it's still really present).

Right. I wouldn't expect vmalloc stuff to hit HW in most cases anyways,
though I do wonder why you don't pass the buffer directly to the HCD and
avoid that intermediate step but that's a completely different
question :-)

> > > Your patch looks good. Thanks for taking care of this!
> >
> > Are you taking care of sending it upstream ?
>
> I'll apply the patch to remove vmalloc pgprot thingy surely to sound
> tree and include in the next pull request.
>
> Others should be sent through arch maintainers (PPC and ARM), right?

Well, I am ppc maintainer so that's sorted :-) I've CCed Russell for the
other, it's up to him, I have no specific dependency there, it's just an
easy cleanup I stumbled upon.

Cheers,
Ben.