    SubjectRe: RFC: Platform data for onboard USB assets
    > Q(b) If yes, what 'key' is most suitable for identifying the right
    > device
    > to attach the data to ?

    We already pointed out that in the case of soldered-in device, the
    "path" as in the series of -physical- ports leading to the device is
    going to be stable.

    For anything else, there's no solution. If the device doesn't have a
    unique ID, you are toast, period.

    On the other hand, I still think platform_data suck big time. Grant made
    some good points about the lack of proper typing for example. I believe
    that a device-tree based approach is much better in the long run (and
    more flexible) despite Andy odd quasi-religious aversion for it.

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-03-22 22:11    [W:0.018 / U:2.388 seconds]