    SubjectRe: [GIT] kbuild core updates for 2.6.39-rc1
    On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 05:53:24PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 1:58 AM, Michal Marek <> wrote:
    > >
    > > * Section mismatch analysis enabled by default
    > >  - there are only a few warnings for defconfig builds,
    > >    all{yes,mod}config still has a lot of them. Depending on the general
    > >    perception of this change, we might disable it later in the rc phase
    > >    again.
    > No.
    > We don't enable stuff like this by default. Not when it actually
    > changes some really fundamental compiler flags, and thus the whole "we
    > can disable it late in -rc again" is a totally broken option, since if
    > we have any compiler issues, we'd want to know it early.
    Note that the default y doesn't result from the patch in this pull
    request but from
    1d53661 (blackfin: enable DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH)
    . I admit I didn't think deeply about it, but keeping it seemed OK for

    > And we _know_ we are going to disable it, since it enables the "don't
    > inline" flag to gcc for called-once functions. So there's no question
    > at all what the default should be in any release kernel.
    I wasn't aware of that, Mike so even "default y if BLACKFIN" seems to be
    a bad idea.

    Michal, do you want just remove the default y and squash it into the
    And something that just occured my now is that the warning about
    CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH in scripts/mod/modpost.c could get an
    update, too. Something like:

    warn("modpost: Found %d section mismatch(es).\n"
    - "To see full details build your kernel with:\n"
    + "To see full details enable CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH in your .config.\n"

    Best regards

    Pengutronix e.K. | Uwe Kleine-König |
    Industrial Linux Solutions | |

      Last update: 2011-03-21 08:51    [W:0.023 / U:1.832 seconds]