SubjectRe: [GIT] kbuild core updates for 2.6.39-rc1
On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 05:53:24PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 1:58 AM, Michal Marek <> wrote:
> >
> > * Section mismatch analysis enabled by default
> >  - there are only a few warnings for defconfig builds,
> >    all{yes,mod}config still has a lot of them. Depending on the general
> >    perception of this change, we might disable it later in the rc phase
> >    again.
> No.
> We don't enable stuff like this by default. Not when it actually
> changes some really fundamental compiler flags, and thus the whole "we
> can disable it late in -rc again" is a totally broken option, since if
> we have any compiler issues, we'd want to know it early.
Note that the default y doesn't result from the patch in this pull
request but from
1d53661 (blackfin: enable DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH)
. I admit I didn't think deeply about it, but keeping it seemed OK for

> And we _know_ we are going to disable it, since it enables the "don't
> inline" flag to gcc for called-once functions. So there's no question
> at all what the default should be in any release kernel.
I wasn't aware of that, Mike so even "default y if BLACKFIN" seems to be
a bad idea.

Michal, do you want just remove the default y and squash it into the
And something that just occured my now is that the warning about
CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH in scripts/mod/modpost.c could get an
update, too. Something like:

warn("modpost: Found %d section mismatch(es).\n"
- "To see full details build your kernel with:\n"
+ "To see full details enable CONFIG_DEBUG_SECTION_MISMATCH in your .config.\n"

Best regards

Pengutronix e.K. | Uwe Kleine-König |
Industrial Linux Solutions | |