SubjectRe: RFC: Platform data for onboard USB assets
Date
On Friday 18 March 2011, Andy Green wrote:
> On 03/17/2011 11:27 PM, Somebody in the thread at some point said:
>
> > The patch below also looks right to me. I believe it also has the
> > advantage of u-boot already knowing how to update the
> > local-mac-address property at boot time.
>
> In my (tested, working, complete) patch series, I allow platform_data
> based override of MAC at usbnet level, so all the drivers can benefit
> from it.
>
> Is this not a case of "small thinking" from a Device Tree perspective
> that Arnd's patch only targets smsc95xx? Or did I miss some
> disadvantage to allowing this functional configuration option at usbnet
> layer?

I think either way works (usb-net or individual drivers), the difference is
which information you use when both a hardware MAC address and the
local-mac-address property are used. Your patch uses the local-mac-address,
mine would use the hardware mac address and only fall back to the
property if there is no other one.

I still need to look at your patch series, I didn't realize you had
already sent it.

Arnd

  Last update: 2011-03-18 09:27    [W:0.208 / U:0.128 seconds]