    SubjectRe: [GIT PULL] omap changes for v2.6.39 merge window
    On Thu, Mar 17, 2011 at 11:30 AM, Tony Lindgren <tony@atomide.com> wrote:

    > Please pull omap changes for this merge window from:

    Gaah. Guys, this whole ARM thing is a f*cking pain in the ass.

    You need to stop stepping on each others toes. There is no way that
    your changes to those crazy clock-data files should constantly result
    in those annoying conflicts, just because different people in
    different ARM trees do some masturbatory renaming of some random
    device. Seriously.

    That usb_musb_init() thing in arch/arm/mach-omap2/usb-musb.c also
    seems to be totally insane. I wonder what kind of insanity I'm missing
    just because I don't happen to see the merge conflicts, just because
    people were lucky enough to happen to not touch the same file within a
    few lines.

    Somebody needs to get a grip in the ARM community. I do want to do
    these merges, just to see how screwed up things are, but guys, this is
    just ridiculous. The pure amount of crazy churn is annoying in itself,
    but when I then get these "independent" pull requests from four
    different people, and they touch the same files, that indicates that
    something is wrong.

    And stop the crazy renaming already! Just leave it off. Don't rename
    boards and drivers "just because", at least not when there clearly are
    clashes. There's no point. I'm not even talking about the file renames
    (which happened and can also make it "fun" to try to resolve the
    conflicts when somebody else then makes _other_ changes), but about
    the stupid "change human-readable names in board files just to annoy
    whoever needs to merge the crap".

    Somebody in the ARM community really needs to step up and tell people
    to stop dicking around.

    (I'm replying to the omap pull request, because that's the one I did
    last, but I don't know who to "blame". I don't care. It really doesn't
    matter. I realize thar ARM vendors do crazy shit and haven't figured
    out this whole "platform" thing yet, but you guys need to push back on
    the people sending you crap).

    Linus

      Last update: 2011-03-18 03:53    [W:0.030 / U:30.752 seconds]