    SubjectRe: Radeon jittery post 2.6.35
     On 03/14/11 23:20, Alex Deucher wrote:
    > On Sun, Mar 13, 2011 at 10:08 AM, Anders Eriksson <aeriksson@fastmail.fm> wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I've found what I guess is a radeon (or drm/kms) regression post 2.6.35.
    >> I've got my TV conneced to my RS690G over HDMI, and the display has
    >> always been jittery after POST and at the GRUB screen. Pre-KMS, the X
    >> server (or driver got it sorted), and when KMS started, the display
    >> stabilized right after the kernel driver was initiated. However, post
    >> 2.6.35, I see the jitter is back.
    >>
    >> I've spent the last month trying to bisect it, but pretty much failed.
    >> It appears that versions closer to 2.6.38-rcX are more prone to display
    >> jitter, while 2.6.36 or so can have many successful runs. It also
    >> appears to be related to device power-on order, or so I've come to
    >> believe; A stable display can turn jittery, just by power cycling the TV.
    >>
    >> I've uploaded a video of a 38-rc8 boot:
    >> http://www.easy-share.com/1914220540/2.6.38-rc8_bad_x.mp4
    >>
    >> You'll see jitter at the POST screen and GRUB. When KMS kicks in it
    >> stabilizes, and when Freevo starts X, it's back to jitter.
    > Does plain X or gnome/kde jitter too or just freevo?

    Yes. A plain xinit with an xterm without window manager shows the same
    thing. (I run freevo on on X, not fb)

    Btw, These are the X packages I use:
    libXxf86misc-1.0.3
    libXxf86dga-1.1.2
    libXxf86vm-1.1.1
    xf86dga-1.0.3
    xf86vidmodeproto-2.3.1
    xf86miscproto-0.9.3
    xf86dgaproto-2.1
    xf86bigfontproto-1.2.0
    xf86driproto-2.1.1
    xf86rushproto-1.1.2
    xf86-input-evdev-2.6.0
    xf86-video-ati-6.14.0
    xf86-input-keyboard-1.5.0
    xf86-input-mouse-1.6.0

    > Alex
    >
    >> The jitter is always of the same kind. It looks like an old tv set which
    >> loses sync. The contents on the display is, for a split second, placed
    >> at the wrong part of the screen (vertically and to some extent
    >> horizontally), and every 5-15 seconds or so, there is a big reset when
    >> the TV tries to restart things (I guess). At the resets, thee is a loud
    >> 'ping' in the nearby stereo too...
    >>
    >> During the bisect (and a t 38-rc8) I've seen this both at the console
    >> (post KMS) and in X, so I'm not sure where the error is. I hope some of
    >> you can get a better idea of where to hunt for the bug by looking at the
    >> video.
    >>
    >> -Anders

      Last update: 2011-03-15 09:21    [W:0.029 / U:1.488 seconds]