    SubjectRe: [Qualcomm PM8921 MFD v2 2/6] mfd: pm8xxx: Add irq support
    On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, Mark Brown wrote:

    > On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 08:43:08PM +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
    >
    > > Sigh, why insist people on working around core code instead of talking
    > > to the responsible maintainers about their problem in the first place?
    >
    > I don't know if it's the case here but with a lot of the people I speak
    > to it's because they're used to working on proprietary OSs where there's
    > no possibility of fixing the core and they haven't yet realised that
    > this is a possibility.

    Good point. If I only knew a way to get this message to those folks
    once and forever.

    There are several good reasons to avoid working around core code:

    - It's usually simpler and faster as the core code has all the
    necessary information. So that's even an argument which managers
    might understand.

    - Such workarounds, when not caught, tend to spread themself
    magically because driver writers checkout the existing code of
    similar devices and copy/paste/modify^Wuglify them over and over.

    - In the worst case such workarounds make the core maintainence
    harder and in some cases impossible, because they silently imply
    semantics on the core w/o the core maintainer knowing about them.

    I'm going to give a talk about that at the collab summit :)

    Thanks,

    tglx

      Last update: 2011-03-11 21:15    [W:0.028 / U:0.128 seconds]