SubjectRe: [Qualcomm PM8921 MFD v2 2/6] mfd: pm8xxx: Add irq support
On Fri, 11 Mar 2011, Mark Brown wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 08:43:08PM +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
>
> > Sigh, why insist people on working around core code instead of talking
> > to the responsible maintainers about their problem in the first place?
>
> I don't know if it's the case here but with a lot of the people I speak
> to it's because they're used to working on proprietary OSs where there's
> no possibility of fixing the core and they haven't yet realised that
> this is a possibility.

Good point. If I only knew a way to get this message to those folks
once and forever.

There are several good reasons to avoid working around core code:

- It's usually simpler and faster as the core code has all the
necessary information. So that's even an argument which managers
might understand.

- Such workarounds, when not caught, tend to spread themself
magically because driver writers checkout the existing code of
similar devices and copy/paste/modify^Wuglify them over and over.

- In the worst case such workarounds make the core maintainence
harder and in some cases impossible, because they silently imply
semantics on the core w/o the core maintainer knowing about them.

I'm going to give a talk about that at the collab summit :)

Thanks,

tglx

  Last update: 2011-03-11 21:15    [W:0.209 / U:0.820 seconds]