SubjectRe: [RFCv4] timerfd: add TFD_NOTIFY_CLOCK_SET to watch for clock changes
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011, Alexander Shishkin wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:52:18AM +0100, Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > On Wed, 9 Mar 2011, Alexander Shishkin wrote:
> > The patch does something different. How is this related to the problem
> > you wanted to solve in the first place?
>
> Well, if you scratch the timerfd_settime() bit, it kind of addresses the
> initial problem. The timerfd_settime() was indeed a mistake.
>
> > Can you please explain which problems you identified aside of the
> > initial one?
>
> Sure. The time daemon that we have here has to stop automatic time updates
> when some other program changes system time *and* keep that setting
> effective. Currently, when "the other program" changes the system time
> right before time daemon changes it, this time setting will be overwritten
> and lost. I'm thinking that it could be solved with something like
>
> clock_swaptime(clockid, new_timespec, old_timespec);
>
> but something tells me that it will not be welcome either.

What's that time daemon doing? The semantics of updating system time,
but stopping to do so when something else sets the time sounds more
like a design problem than anything else.

Thanks,

tglx

  Last update: 2011-03-10 15:57    [W:0.326 / U:0.012 seconds]