SubjectRe: [linux-pm] [RFC,PATCHv3 0/3] sdhci runtime_pm implementation
From
On Tue, Mar 1, 2011 at 10:07 PM, Rafael J. Wysocki <rjw@sisk.pl> wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 01, 2011, Pierre Tardy wrote:

>> > There may be one or two small errors.

>> > Other drivers do it, but they use PCI PME# instead of interrupts.
>> Could you please elaborate?
>> My understanding is that PCI PME will generate MSI, which translate in
>> interrupt.
>
> Your driver won't get those interrupts.
>
> How it works is, basically, that when the device signals wakeup, it either
> causes a PME# signal to be raised (parallel PCI), or a PME Message to be
> sent upstream (PCIe).  In the first case it will cause a platform event
> (eg. ACPI GPE) to occur and the handle of that event will resume your
> device (using pm_request_resume()).  In the second case it will cause the PCIe
> root port handling the PME Message to generate an interrupt and the handler of
> that interrupt will resume your device.
Thanks, that explain a lot how it works.
What I still dont understand is that the wake source I'll have (e.g.
sd card insert) is still an interrupt source.
So it is supposed to generate interrupt until the interrupt source is
acknowledged.
Are we supposed to mask that interrupt source while suspended to make
sure we have either wake or interrupt?

> In fact, there are a few drivers in the tree using this mechanism already
> (r8169, e1000e, i believe PCI HCDs too).
Hope there will be more and more.

thanks,
Pierre