    SubjectWhat's part of the ABI (breaking eeepc-wmi)
    From
    Hi,
    I recently discovered that new Asus notebooks (eg: not Eeepc) are now
    shipped with an ACPI WMI device instead of the old ACPI Atkd device.
    Most of this device is similar to the Eeepc ACPI WMI device, except
    for keymap and event GUID.

    I could add support for these notebooks in eeepc-wmi, but that seems
    really weird.

    A first solution is to rename eeepc-wmi asus-wmi, and create an alias
    to make eeepc-wmi work. Then this driver would handle asus-wmi and
    eeepc-wmi platform drivers (it could also be splitted in 3
    files/modules, common/notebook/eeepc).
    But then, is it important to keep these strings ?
    - hotplug string ("eeepc-wifi")
    - rfkill names ("eeepc-xxxxx")
    - led names ("eeepc::xxxxxx")
    - input strings (.phys and .name)

    If these strings should really be keeped for backward compatibility, I
    was thinking of something like that:

    ----
    struct module;
    struct key_entry;

    static struct asus_wmi_driver {
    const char *name;
    struct module *owner;

    const struct key_entry *keymap;

    int (*probe) (struct asus_wmi *asus);
    int (*quirks) (struct asus_wmi *asus);

    struct {
    const char *input_name;
    const char *input_phys;
    const char *led_touchpad;
    const char *hotplug_wlan;
    const char *rfkill_wlan;
    const char *rfkill_bluetooth;
    const char *rfkill_wimax;
    const char *rfkill_wwan3g;
    } strings;

    struct asus_wmi *device;
    };

    int asus_wmi_register_driver(struct asus_wmi_driver *driver);
    void asus_wmi_unregister_driver(struct asus_wmi_driver *driver);
    ----

    Any thoughts on that ?

    --
    Corentin Chary
    http://xf.iksaif.net

      Last update: 2011-02-08 09:53    [W:0.020 / U:91.308 seconds]