SubjectRe: [patch] x86, mm: avoid stale tlb entries by clearing prev mm_cpumask after switching mm
On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 11:34 AM, Suresh Siddha
<suresh.b.siddha@intel.com> wrote:

> True. 'stale' is the wrong word. Do you want me to send a corrected one
> by replacing it with 'bogus'?

Please.

> my understanding is that unless we end up using that TLB entry, we will
> not have the issues like machine checks due to cacheability issues etc.
> If it is not global, upcoming cr3 change will flush it and meanwhile I
> don't think there is a scenario where we refer to these user-addresses.

Quite possible. The situation I envisioned was the same speculative
memory access that causes the TLB fill to also cause a cache fill -
for a noncacheable region (because the bogus TLB entry sets the random
address to cacheable).

And then what happens when somebody else accesses the same memory
noncacheably (through a valid TLB entry), and finds it in the cache?

I dunno. Not really important. The important part is the "possible
random bogus TLB entry", the fact that the CPU can act strangely after
that is pretty much a given.

Linus

  Last update: 2011-02-03 20:51    [W:0.040 / U:0.208 seconds]