    SubjectRe: txqueuelen has wrong units; should be time
    Le dimanche 27 février 2011 à 08:02 +0100, Mikael Abrahamsson a écrit :
    > On Sun, 27 Feb 2011, Albert Cahalan wrote:
    > > Nanoseconds seems fine; it's unlikely you'd ever want
    > > more than 4.2 seconds (32-bit unsigned) of queue.
    > I think this is shortsighted and I'm sure someone will come up with a case
    > where 4.2 seconds isn't enough. Let's not build in those kinds of
    > limitations from start.
    > Why not make it 64bit and go to picoseconds from start?
    > If you need to make it 32bit unsigned, I'd suggest to start from
    > microseconds instead. It's less likely someone would want less than a
    > microsecond of queue, than someone wanting more than 4.2 seconds of queue.

    32 or 64 bits doesnt matter a lot. At Qdisc stage we have up to 40 bytes
    available in skb->sb[] for our usage.

    Problem is some machines have slow High Resolution timing services.

    _If_ we have a time limit, it will probably use the low resolution (aka
    jiffies), unless high resolution services are cheap.

    I was thinking not having an absolute hard limit, but an EWMA based one.

      Last update: 2011-02-27 08:57    [W:0.020 / U:8.840 seconds]