SubjectRe: [RFC] block integrity: Fix write after checksum calculation problem
On Thu, Feb 24, 2011 at 12:37:53PM -0500, Chris Mason wrote:
> Excerpts from Jan Kara's message of 2011-02-24 11:47:58 -0500:
> > On Wed 23-02-11 15:35:11, Chris Mason wrote:
> > > Excerpts from Joel Becker's message of 2011-02-23 15:24:47 -0500:

> > > Data is much easier than metadata. All you really need is to wait on
> > > writeback in file_write, wait on writeback in page_mkwrite, and make
> > > sure you don't free blocks back to the allocator that are actively under
> > > IO.
> > >
> > > I expect the hard part to be jbd and metadata in ext34.
> > But JBD already has to do data copy if a buffer is going to be modified
> > before/while it is written to the journal. So we should alredy do all that
> > is needed for metadata. I don't say there aren't any bugs as they could be
> > triggered only by crashing at the wrong moment and observing fs corruption.
> > But most of the work should be there...
>
> Most of it is there, but there are always little bits and pieces. The
> ext4 journal csumming code was one semi-recent example where we found
> metadata changing in flight.
>
> A big part of testing this is getting some way to detect the bugs
> without dif/dix. With btrfs I have patches to do set_memory_ro on
> pages once I've don the crc, hopefully we can generalize that idea or
> some up with something smarter.

Right now I'm faking it with modprobe scsi_debug ato=1 guard=1 dif=3 dix=199.

Hm, would you mind sharing those patches? I've been working on a second patch
to do the wait-on-writeback per everyone's suggestions, but I still see the
occasional corruption error as soon as I enable the mmap write case and covet
some more debugging tools. It does seem to be working for the pure pwrite()
case. :)

--D

  Last update: 2011-02-24 19:57    [W:0.116 / U:2.516 seconds]