    SubjectRe: IGMP and rwlock: Dead ocurred again on TILEPro
    On 2/17/2011 10:16 PM, Cypher Wu wrote:
    > On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 7:18 AM, Chris Metcalf <> wrote:
    >> The interrupt architecture on Tile allows a write to a special-purpose
    >> register to put you into a "critical section" where no interrupts or faults
    >> are delivered. So we just need to bracket the read_lock operations with
    >> two SPR writes; each takes six machine cycles, so we're only adding 12
    >> cycles to the total cost of taking or releasing a read lock on an rwlock
    > I agree that just lock interrupt for read operations should be enough,
    > but read_unlock() is also the place we should lock interrupt, right?
    > If interrupt occurred when it hold lock-val after TNS deadlock still
    > can occur.

    Correct; that's what I meant by "read_lock operations". This include lock,
    trylock, and unlock.

    > When will you release out that patch? Since time is tight, so maybe
    > I've to fix-up it myself.

    I heard from one of our support folks that you were asking through that
    channel, so I asked him to go ahead and give you the spinlock sources
    directly. I will be spending time next week syncing up our internal tree
    with the public git repository so you'll see it on LKML at that time.

    > 1. If we use SPR_INTERRUPT_CRITICAL_SECTION it will disable all the
    > interrupt which claimed 'CM', is that right? Should we have to same
    > its original value and restore it later?

    We don't need to save and restore, since INTERRUPT_CRITICAL_SECTION is
    almost always zero except in very specific situations.

    > 2. Should we lock interrupt for the whole operation of
    > read_lock()/read_unlock(), or we should leave interrupt critical
    > section if it run into __raw_read_lock_slow() and before have to
    > delay_backoff() some time, and re-enter interrupt critical section
    > again before TNS?

    Correct, the fix only holds the critical section around the tns and the
    write-back, not during the delay_backoff().

    > Bye the way, other RISC platforms, say ARM and MIPS, use store
    > conditional rather that TNS a temp value for lock-val, does Fx have
    > similar instructions?

    TILEPro does not have anything more than test-and-set; TILE-Gx (the 64-bit
    processor) has a full array of atomic instructions.

    > Adding that to SPR writes should be fine, but it may cause interrupt
    > delay a little more that other platform's read_lock()?

    A little, but I think it's in the noise relative to the basic cost of
    read_lock in the absence of full-fledged atomic instructions.

    > Another question: What NMI in the former mail means?

    Non-maskable interrupt, such as performance counter interrupts.

    Chris Metcalf, Tilera Corp.

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-02-18 22:53    [W:0.026 / U:101.276 seconds]