SubjectRe: IGMP and rwlock: Dead ocurred again on TILEPro
On 2/17/2011 6:11 PM, David Miller wrote:
> From: Chris Metcalf <cmetcalf@tilera.com>
> Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 18:04:13 -0500
>
>> On 2/17/2011 5:53 PM, David Miller wrote:
>>> From: Chris Metcalf <cmetcalf@tilera.com>
>>> Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 17:49:46 -0500

>>> How does that help handle the race when it happens between different
>>> cpus, instead of between IRQ and non-IRQ context on the same CPU?
>> There's no race in that case, since the lock code properly backs off and
>> retries until the other cpu frees it. The distinction here is that the
>> non-IRQ context is "wedged" by the IRQ context.
>>
>>> Why don't you just use the generic spinlock based rwlock code on Tile,
>>> since that is all that your atomic instructions can handle
>>> sufficiently?
>> The tile-specific code encodes reader/writer information in the same 32-bit
>> word that the test-and-set instruction manipulates, so it's more efficient
>> both in space and time. This may not really matter for rwlocks, since no
>> one cares much about them any more, but that was the motivation.
> Ok, but IRQ disabling is going to be very expensive.

The interrupt architecture on Tile allows a write to a special-purpose
register to put you into a "critical section" where no interrupts or faults
are delivered. So we just need to bracket the read_lock operations with
two SPR writes; each takes six machine cycles, so we're only adding 12
cycles to the total cost of taking or releasing a read lock on an rwlock.

--
Chris Metcalf, Tilera Corp.
http://www.tilera.com

  Last update: 2011-02-18 00:21    [W:0.067 / U:1.188 seconds]