SubjectRe: Patch "sched: Give CPU bound RT tasks preference" has been added to the 2.6.32-longterm tree
On Feb 17 Mike Galbraith wrote:
> On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 15:29 +0100, Stefan Richter wrote:
> > Jiri,
> > if the desire is to improve performance of existing features (and maybe
> > add this and that little feature that looks attractive), while at the same
> > time you want
> > - experts to have looked at these improvements,
> > - packagers to avoid duplicate work,
> > - keep the number of local patches in check,
> > then the solution is to /stay close enough to the mainline/.

[By which I meant updating, not backporting.]

> That's the intent of pushing more than _purely_ critical bugfixes, get a
> bit closer. Enterprise can't move as fast as mainline, not even close,
> that's a given. Stable problem get griped about though, so there's no
> choice but to take some risk. The tricky bit is how much, and how you
> go about it.

Granted.

> People are fixing this and that in their enterprise kernels privately
> every day. The only difference between that, and pushing baked fixes
> back is that pushing to stable is visible. I strongly suspect that
> there are just tons of mainline backports sitting in each and every
> enterprise tree in existence.

'Visible' = the change which was an important performance improvement or
outright fix at site A (and a nice-to-have improvement on sites B...X)
eventually exhibits a regression at site Y.
--
Stefan Richter

  Last update: 2011-02-17 08:55    [W:0.073 / U:0.144 seconds]