From: Hans J. Koch [mailto:hjk@hansjkoch.de]
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 4:21 PM
To: Benenati, Chris J
Cc: Hans J. Koch; linux-kernel@vger.kernel.org; Greg KH
Subject: Re: uio: power management of user-space drivers

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 03:27:10PM -0800, Benenati, Chris J wrote:

Could you please limit the line length in your mails to something like
80 characters?

> Thanks for your reply. I understand (pretty much) the suspend/resume interface
> and its registration via the Linux device model.
>
> However, that is a kernel-level interface. Assuming you have a kernel component to
> your driver, I suppose it could register a suspend() function and communicate it to
> the user space part of the driver.
>
> But in a case like suspend-to-RAM, the kernel freezes user space threads before the
> suspend() functions are invoked. By the time the suspend function is called, it
> is too late to communicate with user space.
>
> Is there a form of user-space driver notification supported by the kernel? Or does
> the kernel portion of the driver have to register for kernel notifications (which
> precede thread freezing) and alert the user space portion before it is frozen?

What are you trying to achieve?
Could you give an example of the problem you're facing in your application?

Let me guess: suspend/resume functions are supposed to leave your hardware in
a consistent state and you don't know the state if the suspend() catches you
in the middle of your userspace processing?
I remember the Android guys had problems like that and invented some
"suspend blockers". However, I don't remember what the final answer in that
discussion was. Greg?

Thanks,
Hans

  Last update: 2011-02-16 01:39    [W:2.040 / U:0.052 seconds]