SubjectRe: [RFC,PATCH 1/3] Add a common struct clk
Date
Hi Saravana,

> Sure, one could argue that in some archs for a certain set of clocks the
> slow stuff in prepare/unprepare won't need to be done during set rate --
> say, a simple clock that always runs off the same PLL but just has a
> integer divider to change the rate.
>
> In those cases, not grabbing the prepare_lock would make the code less
> "locky".
>
> > We
> > may even want to disallow set_rate (and set_parent) when prepare_count is
> > non- zero.
>
> This is definitely not right.

Why is that? Consider two devices using one clock; one does some
initialisation based on the return value of clk_get_rate(), the other calls
clk_set_rate() some time later. Now the first device is incorrectly
initialised.

Regardless, this is definitely something to flag for a later discussion. I'm
happy to return to that, but we should focus on one issue at a time here.

> Changing the rate of a clock when it's
> already enabled/prepared is a very reasonable thing to do. It's only
> doing a set rate at the "same time" as a prepare/unprepare that's wrong
> for some clocks. We could have the specific implementation deal with the
> locking internally.

Yes, hence leaving the locking here to the clock implementation.

> > I'd prefer to enforce the 'sleepability' with might_sleep instead.
>
> Yeah, I realized this option after sending out my previous email. Please
> do add a might_sleep(). It will actually point out errors (per the new
> clarification) in some serial drivers.

Yep, will do.

> >> After a long day, I'm not able to wrap my head around this. Probably a
> >> stupid question, but will this name.xxx thing prevent using this
> >> INIT_CLK macro to initialize an array of clocks? More specifically,
> >> prevent the sub class macro (like INIT_CLK_FIXED) from being used to
> >> initialize an array of clocks?
> >
> > That's correct. For an array of clocks, you'll have to use a different
> > initialiser. We can add helpers for that that when (and if) the need
> > arises.
>
> Would it even be possible to get this to work for an array? You don't
> have to change this in the patch, but I'm curious to know how to get
> this to work for an array without doing a run time init of the lock.

I'd assume that you'd have to do this at run time, as with any other array of
structs that contain a mutex or spinlock.

Cheers,

Jeremy

  Last update: 2011-02-15 08:29    [W:0.126 / U:0.156 seconds]