    SubjectRe: X32 psABI status
    On 02/13/2011 01:10 PM, H.J. Lu wrote:
    >>> 1. Kernel interface with syscall is close to be finalized.

    I don't think calling it "finalized" is accurate... it is more
    accurately described as "prototyped".

    >> Really? I haven't seen this being posted for review yet ;-)
    >> The basic concept looks entirely reasonable to me, but I'm
    >> curious what drove the decision to start out with the x86_64
    >> system calls instead of the generic ones.
    >> Since tile was merged, we now have support for compat syscalls
    >> in the generic syscall ABI. I would have assumed that it
    >> was possible to just use those if you decide to do a new
    >> ABI in the first place.
    >> The other option that would have appeared natural to me is
    >> to just use the existing 32 bit compat ABI with the few
    >> necessary changes done based on the personality.

    The actual idea is to use the i386 compat ABI for memory layout, but
    with a 64-bit register convention. That means that system calls that
    don't make references to memory structures can simply use the 64-bit
    system calls, otherwise we're planning to reuse the i386 compat system
    calls, but invoke them via the syscall instruction (which requires a new
    system call table) and to pass 64-bit arguments in single registers.

      Last update: 2011-02-13 22:19    [W:0.033 / U:3.212 seconds]