SubjectRe: SMBIOS / DMI Event Logs in Linux?
Caveat: I kind of loathe the proliferation of single use filesystems
for things that just aren't well mapped to the model.

That said, maybe smbiosfs is not so horrible of a mapping. I'm
reticent to dredge up my spec, but I think it fits well enough, and
you can can leave most OEM-specific processing in userspace.

So for the type 15, something like:

/smbios/ # mountpoint
15/ # record type (decimal)
0/ # instance number (decimal)
change_token # change token from the type 15 struct
header # binary dump of the header section (if present)
0/ # one dir for each record (decimal)
id # event ID (decimal)
id_str # event ID (stringified, if possible)
size # event size (decimal, bytes)
timestamp # year, month, day, hour, minute, second
data # binary dump of the payload
raw # binary dump of the whole event

This does not handle type descriptors, but I know *we* don't use them..

This does not address operations such as clearing the log or writing a
new event or locking/unlocking the log. If there's an OEM-specific
driver loaded it could augment the above.

clear_log # write a number to this to clear some
percent of the log
write_events # write a binary dump of an event, including timestamp?

I don't hate it. IT would be cool to have all of SMBIOS available this way.

I'm not sure its worth the work, though. Most Type 15 logs are in
memory-mapped ROM or in RAM, so tools can access it via /dev/mem (if
you have privs to do so). I thought the SMI ioctl() interface worked
just fine for logging and clearing. And hell, we could do that from
userspace if we had to, it's just IO ports, I think. Maybe you need a
userspace V-to-P translation, too.

Tim