SubjectRe: [RFC 1/3] pinctrl: add a driver for NVIDIA Tegra
From
On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 6:28 PM, Stephen Warren <swarren@nvidia.com> wrote:

> Hence, there's no point parsing it from device tree; we end up with exactly
> the same data in the driver, yet have spent a bunch of time parsing it out
> from device tree instead of just embedding it into the kernel binary.

For me there are two points:

- Avoiding clash with kernel maintainers who hate firmware-like tables and
binary data filling up the kernel. Some certain other guy bearing my
name comes to mind.

- Footprint: the majority of the stuff in your driver ends up in non-discardable
memory, and will be kept around. Since we have this concept of a
single zImage for a number of say ARMv7 systems, and since pin
controllers can be pretty hard to load from modules, *all* of them
may have to be compiled-in. If every driver for every board takes this
approach I am afraid it will be end up with a measurable footprint.

Yours,
Linus Walleij

  Last update: 2011-12-10 00:59    [W:0.830 / U:0.208 seconds]