    SubjectRe: [Linaro-mm-sig] [RFC v2 1/2] dma-buf: Introduce dma buffer sharing mechanism
    On Mon, Dec 05, 2011 at 09:18:48AM -0800, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
    > On Friday 02 December 2011, Sumit Semwal wrote:
    > > This is the first step in defining a dma buffer sharing mechanism.

    [...]
    > > + return dmabuf;
    > > +}
    > > +EXPORT_SYMBOL(dma_buf_export);
    >
    > I agree with Konrad, this should definitely be EXPORT_SYMBOL_GPL,
    > because it's really a low-level function that I would expect
    > to get used by in-kernel subsystems providing the feature to
    > users and having back-end drivers, but it's not the kind of thing
    > we want out-of-tree drivers to mess with.

    Is this really necessary? If this is intended to be a
    lowest-common-denominator between many drivers to allow buffer sharing,
    it seems like it needs to be able to be usable by all drivers.

    If the interface is not accessible then I fear many drivers will be
    forced to continue to roll their own buffer sharing mechanisms (which is
    exactly what we're trying to avoid here, needless to say).

    - Robert

      Last update: 2011-12-09 23:53    [W:4.246 / U:0.312 seconds]