SubjectRe: [RFC] vtunerc: virtual DVB device - is it ok to NACK driver because of worrying about possible misusage?
From
2011/12/7 Patrick Dickey <pdickeybeta@gmail.com>:
> On 12/07/2011 08:01 AM, Andreas Oberritter wrote:

>>> *sigh*

>>> This is pretty much exactly the case for VoIP some of the time (though
>>> obviously bidirectional use cases are rather common there's things like
>>> conferencing).  I would really expect similar considerations to apply
>>> for video content as they certainly do in videoconferencing VoIP
>>> applications - if the application knows about the network it can tailor
>>> what it's doing to that network.
>>>
>>> For example, if it is using a network with a guaranteed bandwidth it can
>>> assume that bandwidth.  If it knows something about the structure of the
>>> network it may be able to arrange to work around choke points.
>>> Depending on the situation even something lossy may be the answer - if
>>> it's the difference between working at all and not working then the cost
>>> may be worth it.
>>
>> Once and for all: We have *not* discussed a generic video streaming
>> application. It's only, I repeat, only about accessing a remote DVB API
>> tuner *as if it was local*. No data received from a satellite, cable or
>> terrestrial DVB network shall be modified by this application!
>>
>> Virtually *every* user of it will use it in a LAN.
>>
>> It can't be so hard to understand.
>> --
>
> I tend to stay out of these discussions, since like a couple of others,
> I'm not a kernel developer (or hacker). However, I wanted to chime in
> with my two cents here.
>
> 1.  I agree that it's not acceptable to "NACK" purely for philosophical
> reasons (except when it's a clear violation of a license--be that open
> source or closed source (since we don't want to open ourselves up to
> lawsuits).
>
> 2.  In this case, there have been technical reasons provided. Granted
> the developers (and people who are pro-inclusion) don't feel those are
> justified, but they have been cited.
>
> 3.  You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar (in other words,
> fighting with the person(s) who maintain the project will most
> definitely *not* get your code included).

Yes, that I think we all know. But some problem is that the arguments
against it are very weak. Believe me I would prefer to work on all
hints which kernel hackers gave me after code reviewing and not
to be member of flamewar.

> 4 (and the reason I decided to chime in here).  This email sums
> everything up. Mark is pointing out that someone may want to use this in
> a non LAN setting, and they may/will have problems due to the Internet
> (and their specific way of accessing it). Andreas is arguing that it's
> not the case.
>
> I have to side with Mark on this one, solely because if I knew that it
> would work, I'd use it to watch television when I'm traveling (as some
> places don't carry the same channels that I have at home). So, I would
> prove Mark's point.

Some features are designed for LAN use. I think nobody wants to use
SMBFS over Internet. But in LAN it works perfectly stable.

> Andreas, you said that "virtually EVERY (emphasis mine) user of it will
> use it on a LAN". "Virtually" implies almost all-- NOT ALL. So, unless
> there's some restriction in the application, which prevents it from
> being used over the Internet, you can't guarantee that Mark's issues
> aren't valid.
>
> If as HoP pointed out in another reply on this thread, there's no kernel
> patching required, then I suggest that you keep on developing it as a
> userspace application.

I guess you mean by "developing like userspave app" variant
of development kernel driver out of tree.

> There's no law/rule/anything that says you can't
> install your own driver in the kernel. It just won't be supported
> upstream.  That just means more work for you, if you want the
> application to continue working in the future. Truthfully, that has it's
> upsides also. If you find out about a way to improve the transmission,
> you don't have to wait (and hope) that it gets included in the kernel.
> You can include it in your driver.

As you stated already - maintaining kernel-space code out of kernel
tree is much difficult. If anybody did any change in internal API, then
you have to catch it yourself, find the way to change your code
accordingly. If it would be in kernel, then such job is required to be
done by patch contributor.

To repeat my conclusion - I'm doing so already and seems I will
do it futher. No problem. At least as for now.

Honza