    SubjectRe: CIFS mount: 3.2.0-rc3 suspend crash
    Hello, Srivatsa.

    On Fri, Dec 02, 2011 at 06:19:04PM +0530, Srivatsa S. Bhat wrote:
    > So how about solving this problem more fundamentally, such as defining a
    > freezable wrapper over kernel_recvmsg like:
    >
    > #define kernel_recvmsg_freezable(sock, msg, vec, num, size, flags) \
    > ({ \
    > kernel_recvmsg(sock, msg, vec, num, size, flags) \
    > try_to_freeze(); \
    > })
    >
    > and using it instead of kernel_recvmsg(), throughout the kernel?
    >
    > But kernel_recvmsg is an exported symbol. So if we are very very unwilling
    > to change the kernel ABI, we could probably think about adding try_to_freeze()
    > inside kernel_recvmsg itself,like this (but see below about my thoughts about
    > which one is better):

    I don't necessarily object to introducing the wrapper but I don't
    really think we should be doing s//g over the source tree without
    understanding where it's actually necessary. For kernel threads and
    user threads out of the signal delivery path, try_to_freeze() is an
    exceptional event which introduces behavior which can be difficult to
    reproduce track down and spreading it without actually knowing what
    the surrounding code is doing doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

    Thank you.

    --
    tejun

      Last update: 2011-12-05 18:43    [W:0.047 / U:2.052 seconds]