SubjectRe: Driver core support for early platform devices
On Dec 22, 2011, at 12:45, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 11:15:06AM -0600, Moffett, Kyle D wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm tinkering with some improvements to the way that OpenPIC/MPIC are
>> detected and loaded on PowerPC platforms, and it seems like I am trying
>> to use the driver model before it is fully initialized.
>>
>> In particular, it seems like it should be possible to simply declare an
>> OpenPIC in the device-tree and have it automatically bound to a platform
>> driver declaring the right OpenFirmware match strings.
>>
>> Unfortunately, it needs to be bound by init_IRQ() time, while the driver
>> model does not get initialized until much later (after the scheduler is
>> up and running).
>>
>> As far as I can tell, there seem to be 2 possible approaches to making
>> that possible:
>>
>> (1) Split the driver-model initialization into "early" and "late" phases
>> so that drivers can be registered and devices probed very early on
>> and then replay the necessary scheduler-dependent things after the
>> system is mostly started up (IE: devtmpfs, etc).
>
> We already have that today with the "early_platform*" functions, right?
> Will those work for you, or do you need this for a bus you are creating
> and not using the platform bus?

Well, I can't figure out how "early_platform" is actually supposed to
integrate with the platform bus itself. It seems designed mostly for
drivers like "earlyprintk" et. al. for which loading is controlled by
a kernel parameter.

Specifically, I don't see any "early_platform" logic to match devices in
the OF device-tree based on the driver "of_match" parameters, just based
on text strings in early_param().

Furthermore, if I register an "early_platform" device, it seems to get
unregistered when the normal driver model is brought up, instead of
being sucked in and promoted to a normal platform_device. That code is
pretty poorly documented and only used in a couple places right now,
though, so it's possible I am misreading it.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

  Last update: 2011-12-22 18:59    [W:0.047 / U:0.316 seconds]