    SubjectFedora package for kmod [WAS: Re: [ANNOUNCE] kmod 2]
    On Wed, 2011-12-21 at 00:35 -0200, Lucas De Marchi wrote:

    > I'm glad to announce the second version of kmod. I'm sorry for not
    > sending the announcement on this mailing list for the first version.
    > For those who didn't see the first announcement can check at

    Hello everyone,

    I have taken the liberty of packaging kmod for use with Fedora. I have
    not yet done a lot of testing, so the usual disclaimers apply, etc. If
    you don't want to read the below and just want to try it, consider
    placing the following content into /etc/yum.repos.d/kmod.repo:

    name=kmod test packages

    (currently works for F16 and rawhide on x86_64, more coming)

    Then you just need to do:

    $ yum install kmod

    After that, you will find new binaries with kmod- prefixes:

    $ kmod-lsmod
    $ kmod-modprobe
    $ ...

    That's enough if you just want to try it out. I'll keep these packages
    up to date in collaboration with Martin when new kmod releases are done,
    so you can leave that repo installed and get updates if you like, etc.

    More detailed stuff

    I have tried to generally follow the latest and greatest Fedora
    packaging guidelines, but this is not ready for official review, there
    are things I need to fix, and I need to test the pkgconfig and make sure
    the devel package actually works (did not get there yet tonight - but
    that stuff is next on the list). If you want to help with that, an
    interim repo for the SPEC used to stash this packaging stuff is in the
    following location just for the moment, and fixes are very welcome:

    $ git clone git://

    (look for "TODO" lines in the SPEC to see things that need poking at)

    The goal with this packaging is to work with Martin Sivak and a few
    others on the Fedora end to get the kmod package into a shape and tested
    to a level in which it can relatively soon and transparently replace the
    existing module-init-tools package. Initially, the binaries have the
    kmod- prefix for easy parallel testing (just link or copy the files,
    etc.) but we will of course rename them later. At that time, the old
    package can be obsoleted and replaced with three new (sub)packages.

    As far as testing goes, I'm going to be poking further at x86_64 and
    ARM, and I will also kick off some RHEL6 builds for ppc64 and s390x for
    fun, because I don't yet have an up-to-date Fedora install on my POWER
    box at home. I will ping other secondary arch folks and ask them to also
    take a look because I am keen that some good Big Endian testing be done
    to offset all that x86. Obviously, the weirder the setup, the better.

    NOTE: For now, I have caused the binaries to be installed into /sbin,
    and the library into /lib(64) in the spirit of the existing locations. I
    am aware of the general intentions in Fedora around changing filesystem
    layouts but just in the first cut, I'm keeping life simple(ish).

    Thanks everyone! (and Happy Holidays!)

     \ /
      Last update: 2011-12-22 13:23    [W:0.023 / U:249.416 seconds]