SubjectRe: [Regression, bisected] a3e06bbe8445f57eb949e6474c5a9b30f24d2057: KVM: emulate lapic tsc deadline timer for guest"
On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 11:26, Liu, Jinsong <jinsong.liu@intel.com> wrote:
> Alexey Zaytsev wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 10:53, Liu, Jinsong <jinsong.liu@intel.com>
>> wrote:

>>> Seems illumos works fine w/ qemu-kvm, that's enough. Maybe you need
>>> to wait qemu-kvm sync into qemu?
>>>

>> Qemu-kvm is fine for me, but this is a regression and should be fixed.
>
> Sorry, I haven't your environment to debug illumos regression.
> I don't think it directly related to kvm tsc deadline timer, and I think it's no value to do it now, since
> for linux guest it works fine w/ both qemu & qemu-kvm,
> for illumos guest you just need wait qemu-kvm sync into qemu.

Let me clarify the situation.

Before this commit, the tsc was advertised in cpuid, and it was
handled, if I understand things correctly, by qemu.
After this commit, the tsc is advertised in cpuid, and is handled in
the kernel, but only after qemu issues KVM_CREATE_IRQCHIP. If it does
not issue the ioctl, the kernel just discards any wrmsrs done to the
tsc. This does not look like an Illumos problem to me. Linux guests
kind of work here, because they are prepared to work on utterly
broken hardware. Good for you, but please don't break less-prepared
guests.

You can just run a Linux guest in qemu, and see what happens in
kvm_get_lapic_tscdeadline_msr and kvm_set_lapic_tscdeadline_msr.